I bought ribs to make for dinner tonight then realized I might be in over my head. We're on our 9th day of Whole30 and how am I supposed to eat ribs that aren't slathered in BBQ sauce that was made with copious amounts of brown sugar and molasses?!
I decided I'd try to make my own…
I've made it once before using a recipe from Civilized Caveman, but decided to completely wing it this time and the result was AMAZING!! I want to drink this stuff!
1 Tbsp. Ghee
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 28oz. Can of Whole Tomatoes
1 8oz. Can of Tomato Sauce
1/4 Cup of Peach Applesauce
1/2 Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tsp. Black Pepper
1 Tsp. Sea Salt
2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
2 Tsp. Liquid Smoke
1 Bay Leaf
1. Heat a heavy stock pot on medium heat.
2. Add the ghee.
3. Throw in the onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant and translucent.
4. Place remaining ingredients in the pot and bring to a simmer.
5. Once the ingredients simmer, reduce heat to low and let them continue to simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.
6. Using an immersion blender, blend all ingredients in your pan. You can also transfer the ingredients to a blender or food processor to blend then return to the stove.
7. Let simmer once blended for another hour.
I put the sauce on the ribs 20-30 minutes before they were done and then broiled them the last few minutes. So good!